Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Beast and Dragon, Adored

I've seen it done several times by other bloggers, although not for this reason. But, I'm going to try to work in a title from my favorite band of the last few years, Spoon this week as headlines for the WVU-Louisville game. If for no other reason that to give them a little love. They've been so good to me.

So anyway, I don't know who the beast is and who the dragon is, but if the title of "Beast of the East" is up for grabs in this game, I want us to be the beast! I've already started my analysis of the game over at the Fanhouse. I have a Q&A with Louisville Bloggers The Card Chronicle and Before I Get Old that I'll post at some point this week.

Early news has Patrino smiling about the play of Kolby Smith.

"That really put a smile on my face," Bobby Petrino said. "He's done so much for this program, and he's real special to me. He was one of my first recruits, one of the first phone calls I made when I got the job here. He's done an excellent job for us, and it's great to see him have that success again."

As an aside from that article, I watched part of the Syracuse-Cincinnati game this weekend, and the Bearcat fans should be ashamed of themselves. Outside of Marshall's home games, that has to be one of the worst crowds I have ever seen at a D1 college football game. It's a real shame too, because Cincinnati looks to be much improved over last year. It's a shame no one is watching that program grow.


Here's some more on the link between the Atlanta Falcons and the West Virginia Mountaineers. Rick Trickett finally comes clean on where he learned everything he knows about zone blocking:

He stole those offensive-line schemes.

Swiped them whole cloth from the Denver Broncos and the line coach considered the Godfather of zone blocking, Alex Gibbs.

It even got to the point last year that Trickett was calling Gibbs three times a day.

"I just did every damn thing he did there." In fact, one day last season he so desperately needed the Godfather that he called three times, upon which Gibbs finally answered barking, "What the hell do you want now?"

Now, the shoe is on the other foot as the Falcons came calling after West Virginia's win in the Sugar Bowl last year.

Funny thing, too. After the Sugar Bowl last January in Atlanta, the Falcons asked West Virginia to send them some offensive tapes to inspect. Nothing is patented and proprietary in football.

One thing is for sure. We should all give a big "Thank You" to coach Trickett for all he has done for this team. If you are a high school offensive lineman not sure where you want to go to college, you might want to consider West Virginia and one of the best offensive line coaches in the country.

No comments: