Saturday, July 12, 2008

Good News-Bad News For Mountaineers

When I look at that picture I realize there are a lot of things that I'm going to regret about not getting season tickets this year. The folks I hang with before games are the best. But I don't think I'm going to be able to accomplish the goals I've set for myself this season if I take the day off to go to games. So you win some, you lose some.

Speaking of that, West Virginia got some good news and some bad news recently. Let's start with the bad news. It looks like prized junior college defensive end Tevita Finau did not make the grades and won't be coming to Morgantown this year.
Stewart said Florida defensive back Jerome Swinton and Phoenix (Junior) College defensive lineman Tevita Finau didn’t get the academic credits needed.

The WVU coach said Finau is expected to go to another Arizona junior college this school year. Swinton was released by the Mountaineers.
That sound you just heard was Mountaineer faithful collectively kicking their dog. Finau was expected to provide immediate help for the depleted Mountaineer defensive line. If you haven't heard of him, Phil Steel had him listed as 3rd team All Big East without ever playing a down in the Old Gold and Blue. So, he's kind of a big deal.

There is good news, though. Terrence Kerns will be in camp this August, and the implications of that will be huge. If you were listening to the In The Bleachers podcast, you know that Kerns in the backfield allows Jock Sanders to concentrate more on his role as slot back. If you didn't listen, go now! There's lots of good Big East talk to get you ready for the season. Back to Kerns, though. At 6'1" and 238, he runs a 4.3 fourty. Yeah, I just said that! He is the perfect change of pace to Devine and the worst kind of nightmare for Big East defensive coordinators that already have to deal with White and Devine. Those three in the backfield at the same time will be something to see.

How bout a little video evidence. He seems to be playing against the sisters of the poor who are stacking 11 in the box, but still the power and separation in the open field make me smile just a little.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The message boards are reporting a mix-up between Benji and Tevita. Tevita might still be able to play.
Have you heard anything about this?

John Radcliff said...

I saw that, but nothing from the media. Corrections to follow if it isn't true. And apologies to my dog. Hehehe!