Tuesday, July 18, 2006

10 Greatest College Quarterbacks

There's no denying some of the choices on College Football New's list of the 10 greatest college quarterbacks. I still say that any list like this usually draws so much on recent events that the greatness of past players is always overlooked. I'll agree with Vince Young and Tommy Frazier, but I'm not buying Ken Dorsey or Danny Wuerffel as anything but system guys. One name that I saw on there that I really wasn't expecting to see was Major Harris.

10. Major Harris, West Virginia (1987-89) Long before there was Michael Vick and Vince Young, there was Harris, an original that helped usher in the era of dual-threat quarterbacks. He's one of just two passers in history to throw for more than 5,000 yards and run for more than 2,000 more in a career, and came within a Fiesta Bowl win in 1988 from guiding the Mountaineers to an unlikely national title.

Call me crazy, smack my ass and call me Charlie, but I still would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Stewart Mitchell wouldn't have blown his knee out before the 87 season.

Having said that, Major Harris was a freak! He was so fast, and more importantly quick (moving laterally), the only thing that could stop him was a well placed helmet to the hip bone. Then he could also throw a football 50-60 yards on one knee. It's sad that he didn't stick around for his senior season. I think it would havbenefiteded him and WVU greatly.

So, I just have to ask, how do you not have Doug Flutie on every one of those lists? Same for Dan Marino? I hated them both when they were at their respective schools, but you can't deny their greatness, nor can you deny my bias toward Eastern Independent players from the 80's!

No comments: