Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Blogpoll Roundtable #2

This weeks Blogpoll Roundtable is brought to us by the always humorous and insightful Doug over at Hey Jenny Slater. After you start reading the first question, you'll understand, but Doug has asked that we try to be more original than just rehashing the Michigan game. But I can't help myself a little bit. Go here, then come back and continue reading.

1. By the end of the season, some previously unheralded teams' bandwagons will be so full they'll be having to bump passengers and offer them free vouchers and first-class upgrades; others will have emptied out in a big way. On whose bandwagon are you already scrambling to save a seat? Conversely, which team's bandwagon is being driven by Toonces the Driving Cat, prompting you to leap off now before it careens over a cliff to its fiery death below?

Getting on: South Florida especially if they can go into Auburn and win this weekend. Considering what K State almost did, I wouldn't be surprised. Clemson if what they did last night is any indication of what they are capable of. It seems the ACC is wide open again this year to anyone that can step up and take it.

Getting off: Va. Tech for sure. I don't know how they could not get it done against ECU. Sure we all saw the Pirates hang with WV last year, but the emotion of the meaning of that game should have been enough to get the Hokie offense 30 points. I was looking for them to take the ACC by storm this year. But what I saw Saturday didn't make me think it was going to happen. They need a quarterback. And obviously Florida St. Looks like Jeff Bowden wasn't the problem after all.

2. What do you think was opening weekend's biggest mirage -- either a "big win" over a team that isn't really as good as everyone thinks, or an embarrassing loss (or embarrassingly close win) that won't seem quite as embarrassing by season's end?

I want to say again that Western Michigan is a good team. Probably a lot better than most give them credit for. I think by the end of the year people will look back on the 62 points WVU put up on them and be very impressed. WMU has games against Indiana this weekend and Missouri next weekend, and I fully expect them to win one if not both.

3. Compared to how you felt Friday night, how do you feel now about your team's chances this season? I'm not just talking about your impressions of your own team -- also take into account their prospects relative to this year's opponents, whom you've also gotten a little more acquainted with after this past weekend's action.

Defense, defense, defense! And nothing has changed since Friday night. In fact, I was sure I was going to get some comments from fellow Mountaineer fans about my lack of faith in our defense leading up to the game. Sure WMU only rushed for 32 yards on 32 carries, and had 245 yards passing, but it just looked ugly at times, and I know Rutgers and Louisville could have their way against this defense. And at some point I'd rather not have to count on outscoring those teams or wearing them down in 3 overtimes. And I'm not so sure that South Florida won't be able to move the ball effectively either.

4. Looking at how those future opponents performed this past weekend, which developments are you most excited about? Which of your opponents' performances have you a little worried?

I didn't find much to be excited about. Everyone that I expect to be good this year in the Big East went out and pummeled their patsy. As far as being worried, Brohm, Urrutia, and Douglas have been together for three years now. Plus that tight end, his name escapes me at the moment, seemed to be catching everything that came his way. And oh yeah, we don't defend the pass very well. Shit!

5. There are now 32 bowls in D-IA football, meaning 64 bowl teams, meaning any given team now stands a better-then-50-percent chance of going to a bowl. To get that number under 50 percent, we'd have to eliminate three bowls. Which ones would you get rid of?

The International Bowl needs to go just for it's unfuckingoriginal name. Besides, what kind of treat is it to be sent to Canada in the winter?

Is the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl still around?

Any bowl that used to be named something for the location it's in, but now has been splattered by sponsorship to the point that it is no longer recognizable. Wait, that's all of them!

6. And finally, in 50 words or less, how happy are you that it's finally football season again?

Let me see, I get to write about things that actually happen instead of things that might happen. Hell yeah I'm happy!


Plus, I get to do beer bongs with 18 year olds

No comments: