Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Final and Only Thoughts on Marshall

Sorry to keep using that picture, but for the same reason I haven't written really much of anything lately, I just have to go with that picture.

Anyway, I didn't get to watch a lot of the game because of the gig in Charleston. But what I saw did not impress me. At least Coach Bill agrees with me as far as the special teams are concerned.

"There's no building tall enough in Morgantown to keep me from jumping off the top of because of that kickoff team," said Stewart, also WVU‘s special teams coordinator. "We're going to get down to brass tacks and I'm going to find some guys who will run down that field and smack someone in the mouth."

I agree with that, but at the same time what really bothers me is that we put up 500 yards of total offense and only 27 points. No, I didn't want us to run up the score at the end. I just think there are still issues with clock management when you get to the end of the first half with the ball on the five yard line and manage to run out the clock without any points to show for it.

On the flip side, though, the defense played a heck of a game holding Marshall to 158 yards. That's good no matter who you play! We got over 300 yards rushing, Pat White had a very efficient passing day 17/21...130 yards...and two TDs. It was a dominating game in every way, except on the scoreboard.

And let's not kid ourselves, we make fun of Marshall all the time but this wasn't a bad team that we beat. I'm not saying they are great or anything, but certainly much better than the 115th ranking they received at the beginning of the year. There are a lot of coaches that deserve to be on the hot seat, but Mark Snyder isn't one of them. He was dealt a shitty hand and has made the best of it. I hope Marshall gives him a little more time to turn things around. Because if we are going to play every year, it's in our best interests that they be good. ...Right?...Right!

We'll be doing a Q&A with Bleed Scarlet later in the week as well as other happy fun stuff.

Pat White? Hard to tell if he will be 100% or not.

No comments: