Monday, November 17, 2008

....and we're back

Hey all, sorry to leave you hanging last week. I had a lot of things to do that didn't involve watching college football. Sadly, one of those things was me turning in my resignation at FanHouse. There's no ill will or anything. I just needed to stop that so I could move on to other things.

One of those other things is concentrating on West Virginia and this blog. Sure, I don't make any money here. But over the past couple years I've found myself less and less interested in all things Mountaineers. That's a sad statement, but the time in the day just didn't allow for me to read everything about West Virginia and still fulfill my responsibilities at FanHouse. In the end, I just want to be a fan and do crappy photoshops like the one you see at right.

Enough of that, let's look at West Virginia-Louisville. My how this series has fallen off after the incredible first two games. OK, I already don't want to think about this game. It's sad to think how quickly both programs have fallen off the face of the college football landscape. Two years ago, this game was for a shot at the national title. Things didn't turn out that way, but Louisville could have very easily been there if not for a pesky Rutgers team ruining their season.

Of course the 2007 meeting was once again billed as the league championship before the season started. But Louisville forgot how to play defense last year and the game was almost meaningless by the time it rolled around. Regrettably, West Virginia lost to Pitt and ruined any chance at a national title, then watched DickRod leave for Michigan.

There is something at stake in this game, though. Oddly enough, West Virginia still has a shot at the Big East title if the Mountaineers can win out and someone can beat Cincinnati between now and the end of the season. Louisville still has a shot at a bowl game if they can win one more game. Although some, including Steve Kragthorpe, believe they need to win both of their remaining games to get a bowl invite.

Kragthorpe may or may not be in trouble. He was hand picked by Tom Jurich to replace Bobby Petrino, but the natives are restless as you can see by checking out the live blog of the Monday press conference, here. As usual, I'll be doing a Q&A session with Tom Heiser later in the week. Also, keep an eye on Mike @ Card Chronicle to keep up to date with all things Louisville.

Lastly, it looks like I'm going to have to start thinking basketball as West Virginia's season has already started. But I'm still not sure what this Elon thing is.

No comments: