Friday, March 05, 2010

About This AD Thing


I can barely remember a time when Ed Pastilong wasn't the AD at WVU. That might be from all the drinking, etc. that has taken place since he took over. Anyway, we've taken some shots at him and the department in general over the past few years. Mostly out of anger that everything didn't come up smelling like roses. Even though I think you would be hard pressed to find a time in WVU's history that the sports teams were more successful.

So we won't take any shots at him today. Rather, I just want to say thanks for all the years of service and what you helped to create here at WVU, Mr. Pastilong. There's no doubt you're leaving the program better off than when you started.

I guess what scares me is the possibility that Mike Parsons might take over. Because he's kind of a dick. Between that and Governor Manchin putting in his two cents where it doesn't belong, I'm a little worried about the future of WVU athletics.

It would be nice to see Jerry West or Oliver Luck in the AD spot. But I really don't know how likely either would be. Jerry obviously isn't going to be around for 20 years, and Oliver might or might not depending on what opportunities would come his way. I have a feeling he's going to want to be out on the west coast to see his son play for Stanford.

Whoever it is that takes over, they need to be a savvy businessman combined with a magnetic personality. Thankfully, that excludes Mr. Parsons. Who exactly fits that mold? I don't know. I guess we'll know when we know.

No comments: