Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Pitt Loss

Ok, first of all, congrats to Pitt. They played the better game, and deserved to win. Painful to say? Yup! But, that's the way it goes. We played awful. Our two biggest names didn't get it done. The one good thing I can take from the game is that we couldn't possibly play any worse than we did. Also, I got my first real chance to see Alex Ruoff play. I think the kid has some potential. He played good defense, and hit the three when he was open. At the end of this great season, we are going to say goodbye to 5 seniors that have turned this program completely around. No matter what happens the rest of the year, I can say that this group of seniors has taken WVU basketball from the bottom of the Big East to one of the best programs in America. Off the top of my head, I can not think of a program that went from 8-20 to the Elite Eight in four years. While capturing the imagination of the college basketball world.
Losing so much senior leadership could be devastating. I hope that everyone remembers how it was before they got here. When this new group of players takes over next year, they most likely won't go to the NCAA tournament. They will have a lot of tough, and probably some embarrassing losses. Just like this senior class had when they were freshmen. Having a program that reloads instead of rebuilds takes time. I just want to enjoy watching them grow like I enjoyed this senior class.

No comments: